I miss reading design magazines & I want to to read more on my iPad.
I’ve been using chunky comic reader for pdf books, works great, but I don’t love the UI. Reading magazines on Apple news’ is pretty good. But I don’t see any full design magazines, only individual articles.
Can anyone recommend the most enjoyable way to read magazines on iOS?
Cheers! Finn 🤠
- Post Content: Non-members will be able to read the post contents, see replies, and see reply authors (except in cases where authors have anonymized their signatures).
- Findable: This post is findable by URL and can appear on the homepage if it’s within the top 10 posts.
- Public For Now: This post can still be made “Unreadable to the outside”.
Tried Kindle and some others but didn’t find anything that had decent typography, smooth interactions, and an uncluttered interface. Landed on Apple Books which is underrated, really quite beautiful, allows for zooming in on paragraphs (double tap), text selection, and works without many distractions. You can drop PDFs into the Mac app to pick them up anywhere else and switch between vertical and horizontal scrolling if that’s your thing. Curious to see what you think.
- Read on Kindle and sync highlights to Readwise. I’ve never been good at keeping notes about physical books. I know I should.
- Find articles on the web, save them to Pocket, read and highlight, sync highlights to Readwise.
Readwise are developing a reader so I’m looking forward to that.
Dunno why but I love reading web articles through an RSS reader, but for books I much prefer a PDF over an EPUB.
For RSS I use News Explorer and for books I just use Apple Books. My flow is I check my RSS reader throughout the day for new articles and read them if I have time, or save to Raindrop to read later. Books I read very rarely, but I'll try to buy just a plain PDF of the book and sync it over to my iPad.
Any article that I think is worth saving for later I'll organize into a folder in Raindrop. I've been debating getting a sub for the archiving feature just cause it sucks when you want to reference something and the page is gone...